Thursday, September 13, 2012

September 14th Room 10 Weekly Note

-->
Our year together is off to a great start.  I have been really impressed by how well your children have settled into our routine.  Overall, it has been a very smooth transition into fifth grade; probably one of the best I have experienced since beginning my teaching career.  In many ways, it’s like we have been together for a long time.  Thank you for sharing your wonderful children with me.
It was really nice to have the opportunity to meet many of you last evening at our Open House.  I always feel a tad rushed and tend to talk really fast, so if there is anything you need clarified, please let me know.  Your children worked really hard this week as we prepared to “dazzle” you last night.
            As I mentioned last evening, all of your children have been tested in reading fluency and a base-line score has been established.  I will begin reading comprehension assessments shortly.  I also plan to administer an assessment to identify specific reading skills that need to be re-taught.  I generally do this during small group instruction that will begin within the next week or so.
            Government and elections will be our initial focus in social studies.  We will begin with a vocabulary cut and paste activity.  The crayfish are the stars of room 10.  The children are anxious to learn about these creatures.  We will begin with their habitats and move right into crayfish anatomy.  This is really a very fun and challenging unit. 
            If you have any questions or concerns, please let me know.  You may reach me at betolsli@bcsd.neric.org.                    

No comments:

Post a Comment