Saturday, September 6, 2014

Greetings from Room 10!
     It was a great start to the new year! I am pleased to say that the children are settling in nicely. I am really looking forward to our first full week of school. It will give us the opportunity to get better acquainted and to develop classroom routines. 


     One of my focuses this year is to create a sense of community/family in room 10.  We spent some time on Friday discussing how we can support each other both in and outside the classroom.  I asked the children to identify both a "high" and a "low" for the first day of school.  This exercise gave us a "jumping off point" for our class discussion.  In addition, we began listening and responding to "Jeff's Journey" an anti-bullying program.  I have used it for many years, and I find that the children both enjoy it for its entertainment value and develop a better understanding of what it means to be a bystander.
     Next week we begin DARE with Detective Kenneth Beck.  We are trying a new approach to DARE this year by participating in two sessions each week. We are hoping that it will provide more consistency in the program delivery.  Be sure to ask your child about DARE on Tuesday after school.
     Once again this year, Mrs. Clarkson, Mrs. McCaffrey and I are chairing the Slingerlands Family Picnic.  We look forward to see you all there on Friday, September 19th.
     Finally, I am attaching a few photographs that I took of 5B on the first two days of school.  Enjoy!!  Have a terrific weekend!  Lester B. and class










No comments:

Post a Comment