Monday, October 14, 2013

It's Parent-Teacher Conference Time!!!


Greetings from Room 10, 
            I am pleased to report that I noticed some improvement in student transitions last week.  Overall, they did a much better job.  They still tend to be a tad chatty.  However, with occasional reminders, they were able to move from one subject to another without me having to raise my voice to get their attention.
            As you all probably remember, this Thursday is a half-day for the children.  I will be conducting the first round of parent-teacher conferences throughout the afternoon.  I will send home conference reminders tomorrow afternoon.  I look forward with meeting with you all.  As you know, we will not have a report card to reference.  Instead, I will provide you with a copy of the initial AimsWeb reports for both reading and math. 
            Beginning this week, we will be hosting a College of St. Rose graduate student.   Ms. Cassuci is a literacy intern who will be working with your children during our literacy blocks.  She will be working in small groups initially, and will eventually conduct full-class lessons.  She is one of many literacy interns in our building this semester.
            In writing, the children will be working on their special place piece this week.  Our focus will be revising their “leads/hooks.”  I will introduce three styles or types of leads and my goal will be for the children to use one of these styles to begin their special place essay.  Next week we will begin our long-awaited historical fiction unit.  I have been doing a lot of research on this genre, and I look forward to working with the children to write amazing historical fiction pieces.
            Last week we began Literacy Stations and this week I will begin to work with the children in guided reading groups.  Our focus for this week will be reading fluency using readers’ theatre scripts.
            Have a nice week, and I will see a third of you on Thursday!
                                                                        Lester Betor and class

No comments:

Post a Comment